SubjectRe: epoll with ONESHOT possibly fails to deliver events
From
On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Eric Wong <normalperson@yhbt.net> wrote:
> Andreas Voellmy <andreas.voellmy@yale.edu> wrote:
>> I wrote a C program that behaves similar to my original program and
>> triggers the bug. The bug only arises when I use enough cores and
>> threads (about 16). The program is here:
>> https://github.com/AndreasVoellmy/epollbug/blob/master/epollbug.c
>
> I finally took a closer look at your code. I think your socketCheck()
> thread is draining socket and causing the normal threads to miss
> events.

Hi Wong,

Thank you so much for responses. But I think you probably
misunderstood socketCheck() which we use at the end of the program to
check whether the bug has occurred (by checking whether some data
remains in the sockets). Please note there's a sleep(10) (line 237) at
the very beginning of socketCheck(). In other words, we can guarantee
recv() (line 239) doesn't execute when the normal threads are running.

We still believe this is a bug in epoll system even though we can't
prove that so far. Both Andi and I are very interested in this problem
and helping you experts solve this it. Just let us know if we can
help.

Thanks.

> Use the FIONREAD ioctl() instead to get unread bytes instead of recv().
> If you want to recv() without draining the socket, you can also use
> the MSG_PEEK flag.

  Last update: 2012-12-20 23:41    [W:0.125 / U:0.432 seconds]