SubjectRe: Why Linux kernel forced to enter X2APIC mode( just because of booting cpu has supported x2apic) without depending on BIOS' setting in MSR->x2apic enablement bit ?
On 12/20/2012 08:46 AM, Yinghai Lu wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 2:38 AM, Zhang, Lin-Bao (Linux Kernel R&D)
> <linbao.zhang@hp.com> wrote:
>> I think current core argument is our BIOS did following judgement ,
>> but Linux kernel did not(Linux seems just judge BSP supports x2apic mode or not by CPUID method)
>
> kernel checks that, if the BSP in x2apic mode, kernel will check if
> intr-remapping can be enabled, otherwise
> it will switch back to xapic mode.
>
>> Our BSP really supports x2apic mode, however,as this spec, our BIOS think some of configuration of server
>> could not meet x2apic conditions ,So didn't place local xAPICs into x2apic mode.
>> But linux kernel indeed enable x2apic mode(just believe BSP, didn't do above judgement) . so this is the conflict.
>
> so your BIOS is wrong, it does not enable intr-remapping.

FWIW, I bought a *server* today and it didn't have interrupt remapping
and x2APIC, I would consider it defective and return it.

-hpa

  Last update: 2012-12-20 18:41    [W:0.067 / U:0.768 seconds]