Subjectmigrate_misplaced_transhuge_page: no page_count check?
Mel, Ingo,

I want to raise again a question I raised (in offline mail with Mel)
a couple of weeks ago.

I see only a page_mapcount check in migrate_misplaced_transhuge_page,
and don't understand how migration can be safe against the possibility
of an earlier call to get_user_pages or get_user_pages_fast (intended
to pin a part of the THP) without a page_count check.

(I'm also still somewhat worried about unidentified attempts to
pin the page concurrently; but since I don't have an example to give,
and concurrent get_user_pages or get_user_pages_fast wouldn't get past
the pmd_numa, let's not worry too much about my unidentified anxiety ;)

migrate_page_move_mapping and migrate_huge_page_move_mapping check
page_count, but migrate_misplaced_transhuge_page doesn't use those.
__collapse_huge_page_isolate and khugepaged_scan_pmd (over in
huge_memory.c) take commented care to check page_count lest GUP.

I can see that page_count might often be raised by concurrent faults
on the same pmd_numa, waiting on the lock_page in do_huge_pmd_numa_page.
That's unfortunate, and maybe you can find a clever way to discount
those. But safety must come first: don't we need to check page_count?

Hugh

  Last update: 2012-12-20 06:21    [W:0.043 / U:1.548 seconds]