Subjectvfs trace points?: was: cifs: Do not enable debugging code by default
On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 09:33 -0600, Steve French wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Borislav Petkov <bp@alien8.de> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:07:02AM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
> >> Yeah, not many do, but presumably they'll set it once and forget about
> >> it. Once someone straightens them out, they should rarely break.
> >>
> >> OTOH, the value of defaulting to "N" is pretty low here. Maybe it
> >> would just be best to just drop this patch and have the embedded folks
> >> turn this off on their own.
> >
> > Yeah, sure.
>
> I am ok with disabling it for embedded, but probably easier to drop
> it. The real benefit will come when someone familiar with dynamic
> trace points comes up with some good examples for file system(s) and
> the VFS so we can reduce our dependency on static tracing.

I'm fine with requiring embedded to turn this off
where appropriate.

It seems that keeping cifs KERN_DEBUG output for
normal kernels is pretty cost free. 120KB ain't much
these days.

I do think that Al Viro & Ted Ts'o should be pinged
about their vfs tracing thoughts. (cc'd)

MIT seems to bounce my emails, so maybe you could ask
Ted directly.

  Last update: 2012-12-18 20:01    [W:0.084 / U:0.040 seconds]