SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] fbdev changes for 3.8
* Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> [121215 14:27]:
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 01:11:04PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen@ti.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Linus,
> > >
> > > Florian, the fbdev maintainer, has been very busy lately, so I offered to send
> > > the pull request for fbdev for this merge window.
> >
> > Pulled. However, with this I get the Kconfig question
> >
> > OMAP2+ Display Subsystem support (OMAP2_DSS) [N/m/y/?] (NEW)
> >
> > which doesn't make a whole lot of sense on x86-64, unless there's
> > something about OMAP2 that I don't know.
> >
> > So I'd suggest making that OMAP2_DSS be dependent on OMAP2. Or at
> > least ARM. Because showing it to anybody else seems insane.
> >
> > Same goes for FB_OMAP2 for that matter. I realize that it's likely
> > nice to get compile testing for this on x86-64 too, but if that's the
> > intent, we need to think about it some more. I don't think it's good
> > to ask actual normal users questions like this just for compile
> > coverage.
>
> This OMAP stuff has been creeping into x86 builds for a while.
> Grep from my current build config ..
>
> # CONFIG_OMAP_OCP2SCP is not set
> # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_OMAP4 is not set
> # CONFIG_OMAP2_DSS is not set
> # CONFIG_OMAP_USB2 is not set
>
> There was some other arm-ism that does the same that I' currently forgetting,
> or maybe that got fixed..

Those are all omap internal devices and should be all marked with
depends on ARCH_OMAP2PLUS.

It's a different story for external devices that may be used on other
architectures.

I only came up with one reason to compile internal devices for other
architectures: In some cases the driver subsystem maintainer may want to
be able to compile test subsystem wide changes without having to compile
for each target separately. But for those cases it's trivial to carry a
compile test patch that just drops the depends Kconfig entries.

Regards,

Tony

  Last update: 2012-12-16 20:01    [W:0.065 / U:0.176 seconds]