SubjectRe: [RFC v2 6/8] gpu: drm: tegra: Remove redundant host1x
On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 10:58:55AM -0700, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 12/13/2012 01:57 AM, Thierry Reding wrote:

> >> Even the virtual device is not too beautiful. The problem is that
> >> the virtual device is not physical parent for DC, HDMI, etc, so
> >> dev_get_drvdata(pdev->dev.parent) returns the data from host1x
> >> device, not the virtual device.
> >>
> >> We'll post with something that goes around this, but it's not
> >> going to be too pretty. Let's try to find the solution once we
> >> get the code out.
> >
> > After some more discussion with Stephen on IRC we came to the
> > conclusion that the easiest might be to have tegra-drm call into
> > host1x with something like:
> >
> > void host1x_set_drm_device(struct host1x *host1x, struct device
> > *dev);
>
> If host1x is registering the dummy device that causes tegradrm to be
> instantiated, then presumably there's no need for the API above, since
> host1x will already have the struct device * for tegradrm, since it
> created it?

Right, that won't be necessary of course. As long as the driver-private
data of the device stays NULL until tegra-drm is ready (has finished
probing) just getting the struct device from the clients and looking at
that should be enough.

Thierry

  Last update: 2012-12-13 22:21    [W:0.189 / U:0.156 seconds]