SubjectRe: [BUGFIX] PM: Fix active child counting when disabled and forbidden
On Fri, 9 Nov 2012, Huang Ying wrote:

> > That isn't strictly true, because pm_runtime_get_noresume violates this
> > rule. What the PM core actually does is prevent a transition from the
> > ACTIVE state to the SUSPENDING/SUSPENDED state if usage_count > 0,
> > _provided_ runtime PM is enabled. There's no such restriction when it
> > is disabled.
>
> Usage count may be not a issue for the end user. But "on" in "control"
> sysfs file + SUSPENDED can be confusing for the end user. Maybe we need
> to check dev->power.runtime_auto in pm_runtime_set_suspended().

You are confusing the issue by raising two separate (though related)
questions.

The first question: How should the PCI subsystem prevent the parents of
driverless VGA devices from being runtime suspended while userspace is
accessing them?

The second question: Should the PM core allow devices that are disabled
for runtime PM to be in the SUSPENDED state when
dev->power.runtime_auto is clear?

Assuming we don't want to allow this, there's a third question: Should
pm_runtime_allow call pm_runtime_set_suspended if the device is
disabled?

Alan Stern

  Last update: 2012-11-09 18:21    [W:0.106 / U:0.032 seconds]