SubjectRe: Why Cypress does not upstream its trackpad driver?
Date
Hi David,

On Wednesday, November 07, 2012 06:30:11 PM David Solda wrote:
> Kamal,
>
> My name is Dave Solda and I would be happy to answer any other questions
> that you have. Troy's response is correct however as in order to support
> the default Linux mouse class, our firmware would also have to be modified
> to do so, which cannot be done in system. Our packet protocol maxes out at
> an 8 byte packet, which requires a change to the Linux standard in this
> case.

I am unable to parse this... I do not believe anyone asks you to change
your firmware and if your protocol needs 8 bytes to transmit device state -
that's fine.

> Our goal in working with canonical was to provide something on Linux that
> would support multi-touch and not only have default single finger movement
> supported.

> If I am mistaken and he Linux kernel would accept this, then we can proceed
> to upstream, however all indications we have is that this patch would be
> rejected. If you (or others on from the locus alias) have any inputs, I
> would be happy to receive them.

This really depends on whether the changes to the psmouse framework make
sense or not. Please start submitting patches for review/discussion and
we can go from there.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry

  Last update: 2012-11-08 02:01    [W:0.393 / U:0.112 seconds]