SubjectRe: [REGRESSION] 3.7-rc3+git hard lockup on CPU after inserting/removing USB stick
Date
Am Mittwoch, 7. November 2012 schrieb Greg Kroah-Hartman:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 03:01:38PM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I had this with something in between 3.7-rc3 und 3.7-rc4 after
> > inserting and removing an USB stick. This example is with a kernel +
> > f2fs patches v3, but I had this with 3.7-rc3 as well.
>
> Ok, so it's not a new thing introduced in 3.7-rc4 (which is good, as
> there wasn't any USB patches added between -rc3 and -rc4.)
>
> Does it also happen on -rc2? Anything older? Can you run 'git bisect'
> to try to track it down?

It appears to be worse with 3.7-rc1. The machine basically locked up a few
moments after inserting the stick.

First time I was on some tty and I saw lots of backtraces flowing by the
process of which the BTRFS on /, which resides on an unrelated internal
Intel SSD 320, was switched to read only. There have been pauses between
backtraces. Second I was in KDE session which basically locked up soon as
well. No mouse pointer movements where possible, no switching to tty1.

I only have the last part of the backtrace of the first occurence as photo.

Nothing was saved on SSD.

I do not want to go an earlier 3.7 version than rc1 on this production
machine.

I can try rc2 tomorrow.

How to proceed? With 3.7-rc3+somegit I was at least able to save out some
dmesg output to the SSD before I rebooted the machine. I can try to get
some longer backtrace this way.

Oh, I see I have a dmesg > file that actually made it to SSD. This one is a
tiny bit longer than the first one. Attached. The screenshot of shortly
before I rebooted the machine is in [1]. That was some seconds after the
BTRFS read only part slipped by. These are from the same, first occurence.

I wonder that this apparently hasn´t been reported already. It may be
configuration specific. I attached config file. It was same for plain rc3 and
just with some f2fs options added for the f2fs kernel in my first post.

[1] http://martin-steigerwald.de/tmp/kernel/usb-hang/IMG_0685.JPG

Ciao,
[unhandled content-type:application/x-xz][unhandled content-type:application/x-xz]

  Last update: 2012-11-07 20:21    [W:0.071 / U:0.888 seconds]