SubjectRe: AMD A10: MCE Instruction Cache Error
Am 04.11.2012 16:21, schrieb Borislav Petkov:
> On Sat, Nov 03, 2012 at 11:45:25AM +0100, Alexander Holler wrote:
>> Hmm, exactly that just happened twice in a row. Unfortunately the
>> screen was already disabled (screen saving mode), so I couldn't see
>> any message, if there was any. Just a dead box (not overclocked, I
>> don't do such, I even had enabled the power saving mode in the BIOS,
>> which seems to mean max. 3800 MHz). I think I should start getting
>> nervous. :(
>
> How do you know this happened twice if you couldn't see any message?

I was remotely logged in and there aren't that many faults which lead to
complete stand still of hw (no reset).

But as you said I can't know, the only thing I know is that a box with
new mb, memory and apu come to a complete stand still, and such shortly
after I've received an emergency message which told me that a bit inside
the cpu switched unexpected. Adding to that, the box did the same as
what it did while it received the MCE, a backup from a sata-atached ssd
to an usb3-hd which includes compression and encryption which keeps all
cores at work most of the time for several hours.

> Also, can you enable netconsole or serial console, if possible, and try
> to catch full dmesg from the boot and up until it happens.

As I was logged in remotely by network, I know it wasn't the same MCE as
before (just a disconnect and dead hw). But I don't know what else it
was. And as I recently got hit by a broken RAM module, which was a pain
to find, I'm not very happy that I have to go through similiar pain
again with new HW.

The probability to get a working HW and SW combination just has become
to low in the last years. All the (IT) companies better should spend the
money they now give their lawyers their QA and engineering departments
instead.

Sorry for the rant, also I'm used to live with hw and sw errors (as a
sw-dev), I'm currently just a bit annoyed. ;)

I will setup something to monitor the box through the serial and will
let it backup itself all the time, trying to catch some usefull information.

Regards,

Alexander

  Last update: 2012-11-04 19:01    [W:0.056 / U:0.268 seconds]