Subject[BUG -next-20121127] kernel BUG at kernel/softirq.c:471!
On Mon, 2012-11-05 at 17:37 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 09:22:16 +0800 Xiaotian Feng <xtfeng@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 6:52 AM, Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> > > gee, I haven't looked at the tasklet code in 100 years. I think I'll
> > > send this in Thomas's direction ;)
> > >
> > > The race description seems real and the patch looks sane to me. Are
> > > you sure we can get away with never clearing TASKLET_STATE_HI? For
> > > example, what would happen if code does a tasklet_hi_schedule(t) and
> > > later does a tasklet_schedule(t)?
> >
> > hmm, that will be a nightmare...
> > tasklet_schedule(t)/tasklet_hi_schedule(t) doesn't use list_head, they
> > simply
> > make t->next = NULL, then put t on the tail of
> > tasklet_vec/tasklet_hi_vec. If the code does a tasklet_hi_schedule()
> > and then a tasklet_schedule, the tasklet will stay on tasklet_vec and
> > tasklet_hi_vec .... tasklet_hi_action will handle it first and clear
> > the TASKLET_SCHED_SCHED bit, later, in tasklet_action, it will be
> > handled again and hit a BUG_ON ...
>
> Well, actually I meant if the caller reuses the tassklet_struct after
> its softirq has been run.
>
> > But if code does a tasklet_hi_schedule(), then tasklet_kil and later
> > does a tasklet_schedule(), we do need clear the TASKLET_STATE_HI.
>
> That as well ;)
>
> > Also
> > we need to remove the tasklet_hi_enable() as it is the same as
> > tasklet_enable() and there's
> > only one user..
> >
> > I'll send you V2 patch soon, thanks.
>
> Sounds good.

Hi all,

I couldn't find the v2 patch of this on linux-kernel but this commit

4660e32 "tasklet: ignore disabled tasklet in tasklet_action()"

BUGS in -next-20121127.

-----------[cut here ]----------
kernel BUG at /home/peter/src/kernels/next/kernel/softirq.c:471!
invalid opcode: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP

The registers/stack dump isn't useful so I didn't include it here.

I'm still trying to track down the execution sequence that causes this,
but the high-level trigger is a firewire bus reset.

Hopefully I'll have more information soon.

Regards,
Peter Hurley

PS - My new staging/fwserial driver isn't to blame because it isn't
loaded when this happens ;)

  Last update: 2012-11-28 19:21    [W:0.038 / U:1.660 seconds]