SubjectRE: [E1000-devel] 82571EB: Detected Hardware Unit Hang
On Tue, 2012-11-27 at 17:32 +0000, Fujinaka, Todd wrote:
> Forgive me if I'm being too repetitious as I think some of this has
> been mentioned in the past.
>
> We (and by we I mean the Ethernet part and driver) can only change the
> advertised availability of a larger MaxPayloadSize. The size is
> negotiated by both sides of the link when the link is established. The
> driver should not change the size of the link as it would be poking at
> registers outside of its scope and is controlled by the upstream
> bridge (not us).
[...]

MaxPayloadSize (MPS) is not negotiated between devices but is programmed
by the system firmware (at least for devices present at boot - the
kernel may be responsible in case of hotplug). You can use the kernel
parameter 'pci=pcie_bus_perf' (or one of several others) to set a policy
that overrides this, but no policy will allow setting MPS above the
device's MaxPayloadSizeSupported (MPSS).

(These parameters are not documented in
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt! Someone ought to fix that.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Staff Engineer, Solarflare
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.

  Last update: 2012-11-27 19:41    [W:0.417 / U:0.404 seconds]