SubjectRe: Problem in Page Cache Replacement

>  Curious. Added linux-mm list to CC to catch more attention. If you run
> echo 1 >/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches does it evict data-1 pages from memory?

I'm guessing it'd evict the entries, but am wondering if we could run any more diagnostics before trying this.

We regularly use a setup where we have two databases; one gets used frequently and the other one about once a month. It seems like the memory manager keeps unused pages in memory at the expense of frequently used database's performance.

My understanding was that under memory pressure from heavily accessed pages, unused pages would eventually get evicted. Is there anything else we can try on this host to understand why this is happening?

Thank you,

Metin