SubjectRe: fadvise interferes with readahead
On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 03:51:03PM +0800, Jaegeuk Hanse wrote:
> On 11/20/2012 10:58 PM, Fengguang Wu wrote:

> >>I understand that would seem like a reasonable design, but in this
> >>particular case it doesn't seem to be. I propose that in most cases it
> >>doesn't really work well as a design decision, to make fadvise work as
> >>direct I/O. Precisely because fadvise is supposed to be a hint to let
> >>the kernel make better decisions, and not a request to make the kernel
> >>stop making decisions.
> >>
> >>Any interference so introduced wouldn't be any worse than the
> >>interference introduced by readahead over reads. I agree, if fadvise
> >>were to trigger readahead, it could be bad for applications that don't
> >>read what they say the will.
> >Right.
> >
> >>But if cache hits were to simply update
> >>readahead state, it would only mean that read calls behave the same
> >>regardless of fadvise calls. I think that's worth pursuing.
> >Here you are describing an alternative solution that will somehow trap
> >into the readahead code even when, for example, the application is
> >accessing once and again an already cached file? I'm afraid this will
> >add non-trivial overheads and is less attractive than the "readahead
> >on fadvise" solution.
>
> Hi Fengguang,
>
> Page cache sync readahead only triggered when cache miss, but if
> file has already cached, how can readahead be trigged again if the
> application is accessing once and again an already cached file.

The answer is opposite to your expectation: for an already cached
file, kernel readahead code won't be triggered at all, which is good
for avoid pointless overheads for the common repeated memory hot
accesses.

Thanks,
Fengguang

  Last update: 2012-11-21 09:41    [W:2.715 / U:0.056 seconds]