SubjectRe: [RFC v3 0/3] vmpressure_fd: Linux VM pressure notifications
On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 12:27:28PM +0400, Glauber Costa wrote:
> On 11/20/2012 10:23 PM, David Rientjes wrote:
> > Anton can correct me if I'm wrong, but I certainly don't think this is
> > where mempressure is headed: I don't think any accounting needs to be done

Yup, I'd rather not do any accounting, at least not in bytes.

> > and, if it is, it's a design issue that should be addressed now rather
> > than later. I believe notifications should occur on current's mempressure
> > cgroup depending on its level of reclaim: nobody cares if your memcg has a
> > limit of 64GB when you only have 32GB of RAM, we'll want the notification.
>
> My main concern is that to trigger those notifications, one would have
> to first determine whether or not the particular group of tasks is under
> pressure.

As far as I understand, the notifications will be triggered by a process
that tries to allocate memory. So, effectively that would be a per-process
pressure.

So, if one process in a group is suffering, we notify that "a process in a
group is under pressure", and the notification goes to a cgroup listener

> And to do that, we need to somehow know how much memory we are
> using, and how much we are reclaiming, etc. On a system-wide level, we
> have this information. On a grouplevel, this is already accounted by memcg.
>
> In fact, the current code already seems to rely on memcg:
>
> + vmpressure(sc->target_mem_cgroup,
> + sc->nr_scanned - nr_scanned, nr_reclaimed);

Well, I'm yet unsure about the details, but I guess in "mempressure"
cgroup approach, this will be derived from the current->, i.e. a task.

But note that we won't report pressure to a memcg cgroup, we will notify
only mempressure cgroup. But a process can be in both of them
simultaneously. In the code, the mempressure and memcg will not depend on
each other.

> Now, let's start simple: Assume we will have a different cgroup.
> We want per-group pressure notifications for that group. How would you
> determine that the specific group is under pressure?

If a process that tries to allocate memory & causes reclaim is a part of
the cgroup, then cgroup has a pressure.

At least that's very brief understanding of the idea, details to be
investigated... But I welcome David to comment whether I got everything
correctly. :)

Thanks,
Anton.

  Last update: 2012-11-21 10:21    [W:0.102 / U:0.296 seconds]