SubjectRe: [PART4 Patch v2 1/2] numa: add CONFIG_MOVABLE_NODE for movable-dedicated node
On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 19:58:09 +0800
Wen Congyang <wency@cn.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> From: Lai Jiangshan <laijs@cn.fujitsu.com>
>
> All are prepared, we can actually introduce N_MEMORY.
> add CONFIG_MOVABLE_NODE make we can use it for movable-dedicated node

This description is far too short on details.

I grabbed this from the [0/n] email:

: We need a node which only contains movable memory. This feature is very
: important for node hotplug. If a node has normal/highmem, the memory may
: be used by the kernel and can't be offlined. If the node only contains
: movable memory, we can offline the memory and the node.

which helps a bit, but it's still pretty thin.

Why is this option made configurable? Why not enable it unconditionally?

Please send a patch which adds the Kconfig help text for
CONFIG_MOVABLE_NODE. Let's make that text nice and detailed.

The name MOVABLE_NODE is not a good one. It means "a node which is
movable", whereas the concept is actually "a node whcih contains only
movable memory". I suppose we could change it to something like
CONFIG_MOVABLE_MEMORY_ONLY_NODE or similar. But I suppose that
CONFIG_MOVABLE_NODE is good enough, as long as it is well-described in
associated comments or help text. This is not the case at present.

> +#ifdef CONFIG_MOVABLE_NODE
> + N_MEMORY, /* The node has memory(regular, high, movable) */
> +#else

I think the comment should be "The node has only movable memory"?

  Last update: 2012-11-21 00:01    [W:0.228 / U:0.028 seconds]