SubjectRe: [Q] regulators: 3-current-regulated supply
Hi Mark

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 08:15:15AM +0100, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
>
> > parts are pretty simple - DCDC step-down, LDO. The first step-up DCDC
> > isn't a problem either. It's the second step-up supply, that I'm having a
> > problem with. It's output voltage can be regulated by using either a
> > voltage feedback or the three current feedbacks. In the current feedback
> > mode one has a choice between a manual mode, in which case you just choose
> > one of the feedbacks and everything is simple again, or in automatic mode.
>
> This almost certainly has no other function than to drive a LED string
> for a backlight; it's not sensible to represent it via the regulator
> framework at all. Just implement it as a backlight and/or LED driver
> and have done with it unless you can find some other use for it.

Hm, interesting. In my case it is of course a backlight power source, but
wouldn't it be too limiting to also implement it as a backlight driver? I
guess I will do that, I'm not too interested in implementing something
hugely generic, for which I have no use either, just wondering... So, I
would be hiding all the flexibility in this case in platform data,
including the selection of the feedback method (voltage vs. current),
overvoltage protection and pins used... I guess, I'll just begin with
implementing just one mode, the one used on my board and see if any other
modes are ever needed.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.
http://www.open-technology.de/

  Last update: 2012-11-15 12:01    [W:0.089 / U:0.036 seconds]