SubjectRe: possibility of parent clock selection through DT
Date
Quoting Shiraz Hashim (2012-11-06 22:36:10)
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Shiraz Hashim
> <shiraz.linux.kernel@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Mike, Rob,
> >
> > Devices in a SoC can have multiple possible clock sources which is
> > perfectly captured through clk framework.
> >
> > But the device itself may not be aware of the complex hierarchy above it.
> > In this case how do you suggest a board (through DT) should select its
> > preference.
> >
> > Is there some work already going on in this direction ?
>
> Just to make it clear, I already have referred the clock DT bindings and
> Shawn Guo patch on removing clk look up registration from kernel code.
>
> Here I am talking about possibility of selecting desired clock hierarchy
> by the boards about which device nodes are not aware.

One way to achieve this is to use clk_set_rate as a way to switch
parents at run-time. The OMAP CCF code currently does this when
relocking PLLs and makes use of __clk_reparent to update the clock
framework's representation of the hierarchy dynamically.

Maybe something like the following is helpful to you:
http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/mturquette/linux.git;a=blob;f=arch/arm/mach-omap2/dpll3xxx.c;h=f72dedb4eee892ce4cd5bdf22cc8c22510f3d526;hb=clk-omap-3.8#l542

Regards,
Mike

> --
> regards
> Shiraz Hashim

  Last update: 2012-11-12 23:41    [W:0.062 / U:0.304 seconds]