SubjectRe: [RFC] Device Tree Overlays Proposal (Was Re: capebus moving omap_devices to mach-omap2)
From
On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 3:23 AM, Pantelis Antoniou
<panto@antoniou-consulting.com> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> Sorry for the late comments, travelling...
>
> On Nov 9, 2012, at 6:28 PM, Grant Likely wrote:

>>> Interesting. This just came up internally at NVIDIA within the last
>>> couple weeks, and was discussed on the U-Boot mailing list very recently
>>> too:
>>>
>>> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2012-October/thread.html#138227
>>> (it spills into the November archive too)

>>> I don't know if you're maintaining this as a document and taking patches
>>> to it, but if so:
>>
>> Sure, why not...
>>
>> http://git.secretlab.ca/?p=devicetree-overlays.git;a=summary
>>

>>> "for the so" split across those two lines.
>>
>> fixed

>>> Perhaps use (versioned) DT bindings to represent the interface between
>>> the two .dts files? See the links to the U-Boot mailing list discussions
>>> below?
>>
>> Implementing versioning is conceptually a lot more complex than plain
>> overlays since it means either the kernel or u-boot needs to start
>> filtering the data that it's given. This can get really complex in a
>> hurry. Mitch makes a valid point later in this thread that when it
>> comes to manipulating the data depending on the board then the data
>> overlay model alone doesn't handle it well.
>>
>> I'm not actually opposed to it, but it needs to be done in an elegant
>> way. The DT data model already imposes more of a conceptual learning
>> curve than I wish it did and I don't want to make that worse with a
>> versioning model that is difficult to get ones head around.
>>
>> Suggestions and proposals are definitely welcome here.
>>

> I didn't find versioning all that difficult TBH.
>
> Making the property access functions work sanely with versioning
> should cover most (if not all) kernel users.
> Keep non versioned property access function available to possibly
> users with a prefix for those that need it.

>>> This proposal is very oriented at an overlay-based approach. I'm not
>>> totally convinced that a pure overlay approach (as in how dtc does
>>> overlayed DT nodes) will be flexible enough, but would love to be
>>> persuaded. Again see below.
>>
>> The way I'm currently thinking about the overlay approach is as a
>> discrete set of changes that all can be applied at once.* That
>> certainly doesn't preclude the change being generated with a script or
>> other tool in either firmware or userspace. For most changes it works
>> really well. Of the scenarios that don't work well, I can think of
>> two. The first is it moving or renaming existing nodes, and the second
>> is if the structure of the base tree changes (say due to a firmware
>> update). Although the second limitation is specifically with binary
>> .dtb overlays. Recompiling the dts overlay against the new tree would
>> work fine.**
>>

> Atomicity should be handled correctly. I can't imagine how hard would
> be to back out a semi-applied overlay without some kind of core DT
> [...]

Some devices will probably have to support on the fly changes that
they may not have otherwise supported. An example of a driver that
needs to modify it's device based on DT would be an I²C bus speed
change.