SubjectRe: [RFC] perf: need to expose sched_clock to correlate user samples with kernel samples
On 11/11/2012 12:32 PM, Stephane Eranian wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 3:04 AM, John Stultz <john.stultz@linaro.org> wrote:

>>> You forgot to CC the time people ;-)
>>>
>>> I've no problem with adding CLOCK_PERF (or another/better name).
>> Hrm. I'm not excited about exporting that sort of internal kernel details to
>> userland.
>>
>> The behavior and expectations from sched_clock() has changed over the years,
>> so I'm not sure its wise to export it, since we'd have to preserve its
>> behavior from then on.
>>
> It's not about just exposing sched_clock(). We need to expose a time source
> that is exactly equivalent to what perf_event uses internally. If sched_clock()
> changes, then perf_event clock will change too and so would that new time
> source for clock_gettime(). As long as everything remains consistent, we are
> good.

Sure, but I'm just hesitant to expose that sort of internal detail. If
we change it later, its not just perf_events, but any other applications
that have come to depend on the particular behavior we expose. We can
claim "that was never promised" but it still leads to a bad situation.

>> Also I worry that it will be abused in the same way that direct TSC access
>> is, where the seemingly better performance from the more careful/correct
>> CLOCK_MONOTONIC would cause developers to write fragile userland code that
>> will break when moved from one machine to the next.
>>
> The only goal for this new time source is for correlating user-level
> samples with
> kernel level samples, i.e., application level events with a PMU counter overflow
> for instance. Anybody trying anything else would be on their own.
>
> clock_gettime(CLOCK_PERF): guarantee to return the same time source as
> that used by the perf_event subsystem to timestamp samples when
> PERF_SAMPLE_TIME is requested in attr->sample_type.

I'm not familiar enough with perf's interfaces, but if you are going to
make this clockid bound so tightly with perf, could you maybe export a
perf timestamp from one of perf's interfaces rather then using the more
generic clock_gettime() interface?

>> I'd probably rather perf output timestamps to userland using sane clocks
>> (CLOCK_MONOTONIC), rather then trying to introduce a new time domain to
>> userland. But I probably could be convinced I'm wrong.
>>
> Can you get CLOCK_MONOTONIC efficiently and in ALL circumstances without
> grabbing any locks because that would need to run from NMI context?
No, of course why we have sched_clock. But I'm suggesting we consider
changing what perf exports (via maybe interpolation/translation) to be
CLOCK_MONOTONIC-ish.

I'm not strongly objecting here, I just want to make sure other
alternatives are explored before we start giving applications another
internal kernel behavior dependent interface to hang themselves with. :)

thanks
-john

  Last update: 2012-11-12 20:01    [W:0.421 / U:0.040 seconds]