SubjectRe: Kernel Firmware - Adding Right way??
From
On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Michael D. Setzer II
<msetzerii@gmail.com> wrote:

> The project currently includes 10 different kernels, and prior to my
> taking it over in 2004, it was the same basic setup. Don't really
> know the whole proces that would be required to convert the
> standalone kernels to kernels using moduals. Setting up the
> moduals and the process to load them, which the kernel now does
> automatically. Project has 800 to 1000+ downloads per week.
>
> I see it load the firmware, and the it shows loading the ramdisk
> file, before the probing happens, but don't know if loading the
> ramdisk is the same as making the rootfs available with the

From the log, looks your kernel loads firmware from fs directly, so
it should be same between ramdisk and rootfs.

> /lib/firmware directory. Know that is the directory that distros
> seem to use, but perhaps the kernel is using other location.
> Message doesn't specify where it was looking for kernel?

Below is the default path to search firmware by kernel:

static const char *fw_path[] = {
"/lib/firmware/updates/" UTS_RELEASE,
"/lib/firmware/updates",
"/lib/firmware/" UTS_RELEASE,
"/lib/firmware"
};

>> As far as I know, now the preferred approach is to build the
>> driver as module for the issue, or you can introduce probe
>> deferral in driver to solve the problem.
>>

> Don't write the drivers, so don't know if this is an option. I've only
> heard of this issue with the bnx2x driver with HP servers and only
> with a couple of users. So, perhaps just manually adding the
> bnx2x.

You can try to make bnx2x as module to see if you problem can be fixed,
and probe deferral for loading firmware is still not ready.

Thanks,
--
Ming Lei

  Last update: 2012-11-11 12:41    [W:0.141 / U:0.128 seconds]