    SubjectRe: Apparent serious progressive ext4 data corruption bug in 3.6.3 (and other stable branches?)
    Am 24.10.2012 23:31, schrieb Theodore Ts'o:
    > On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 09:13:01PM +0200, Jannis Achstetter wrote:
    >>
    >> As a "normal linux user" I'm interested in the practical things to do
    >> now to avoid data loss. I'm running several systems with 3.6.2 and ext4.
    >> Fearing loss of data:
    >> - Is there a way to see whether the journal of a specific partition has
    >> been wrapped (since mounting) so that umounting and mounting (or doing a
    >> reboot to downgrade the kernel) is safe?
    > [...]
    > (Keep in mind this is why commercial software corporations like
    > [...]
    > can all work towards finding the best answer.)

    I really appreciate this and I like it since although the root-cause
    hasn't been found for sure yet, it is a transparent process.
    And it's great good thing that we can directly talk to the involved devs
    w/o going through 200 layers of marketing and spokesmen (as it were with
    the two companies you mentioned).

    > It's a little bit too early for this meme:
    > http://memegenerator.net/instance/28936247

    That's a good one :)

    > But do please note that that Fedora !7 users have been using 3.6.2 for
    > [...]
    > with trailing edge kernel sources. :-)

    Yes, the downside of running Gentoo unstable. But even the "stable" tree
    used 3.5.7 and this is the one my NAS uses where I do store my backups.
    Nevertheless, your reply eased my mind to a great extend and I'm
    thankful for it.
    Time for bed now :)

    Jannis

      Last update: 2012-10-25 01:01    [W:4.367 / U:0.724 seconds]