SubjectRe: perf: prctl(PR_TASK_PERF_EVENTS_DISABLE) has no effect
On 1/27/12 11:12 AM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-01-27 at 11:03 -0600, Andrew Steets wrote:
>> Can anyone tell
>> me if I'm using this wrong or if this is a bug?
>
> You're using it wrong, it will disable events you own (created) not
> events that monitor you.

Is there an alternate way of disabling events that monitor the current
process? I ask because I came across the following description in
tools/perf/design.txt:

A process can enable or disable all the counter groups that are
attached to it, using prctl:

prctl(PR_TASK_PERF_EVENTS_ENABLE);

prctl(PR_TASK_PERF_EVENTS_DISABLE);

This applies to all counters on the current process, whether created
by this process or by another, and doesn't affect any counters that
this process has created on other processes. It only enables or
disables the group leaders, not any other members in the groups.

-Andrew

This email, along with any attachments, is confidential. If you
believe you received this message in error, please contact the
sender immediately and delete all copies of the message.
Thank you.

  Last update: 2012-01-27 21:09    [W:0.065 / U:1.116 seconds]