SubjectRe: loading firmware while usermodehelper disabled.

Matthew Garrett <mjg@redhat.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 11:31:55PM +0000, Jack Stone wrote:
>
>> Rather than merging the drivers we could make the uvcvideo (or any
>other
>> generic driver) driver expose a "subdriver" interface that allows
>> another module to bind to the specific ID and add extra handling to
>> certain events. We could then use that interface to provide a
>firmware
>> driver for each device that needs it. The firmware driver could bind
>> the bootstrap device and to the uvcvideo subdriver interface and it
>> would then have all the lifetime info we need. [Credit to Linus for
>> suggesting this idea]
>
>No, the uvcvideo driver would need to call out to load the firmware
>loader driver, otherwise you'll never know to load the firmware loader
>driver.

So we have a table of USB ids that list the devices that need firmware drivers. When the uvcvideo driver registers the firmware interface with a USB id that matches the list we load the firmware driver and pass it a "warm start" event so it can cache the firmware.

As long as we can identify the devices that *might* need firmware then we are ok.

Thanks,

Jack

  Last update: 2012-01-03 01:25    [W:0.075 / U:0.392 seconds]