SubjectRe: [m68k] in modpost: "strlen" [iscsi_target_mod.ko] undefined! (and others)
Jonathan Nieder dixit:

>Could you suggest a patch to arch/m68k/Makefile to do that?

No, I patched it in debian/config/m68k/defines instead.

I’d rather know why upstream doesn’t use -ffreestanding on
_all_ architectures. A kernel is _not_ a hosted environment,
and GCC is right to bring in problems like this.

> Then drop -ffreestanding from the main Makefile because it isn't
> needed anymore and implies -fno-builtin, which is wrong now.

This is wrong, GCC builtins are only valid on hosted platforms,
not on freestanding platforms. (Nobody prevents GCC from using
a memcpy builtin that uses, say, SSE instructions, which must
not be used inside kernel code, for an example on a better-known
architecture.) A kernel must always be compiled freestanding,
as do bootloaders. At least since the advent of gcc 3.[34].

bye,
//mirabilos
--
“It is inappropriate to require that a time represented as
seconds since the Epoch precisely represent the number of