SubjectRe: Suppressing a plus from setlocalversion
Quoting David Rientjes <rientjes@google.com>:

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011, Pavel Roskin wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> There is one annoyance in the build system that I cannot work around.
>
> That's surprising since you actually state the workaround, i.e. using
> LOCALVERSION= with make, yourself.

OK, I don't consider that an acceptable solution, as it could
interfere with other build systems.

However, as soon as I posted this message, I found a better solution,
namely setting LOCALVERSION= in the environment (both for the normal
user and for root). This is less likely to have unexpected effects,
since the environment variables don't override the variables
explicitly set in makefiles.

> Yes, because the kernel you've produced is no longer 3.1.0-rc2, it is
> modified. If you want to do something else locally, then you can always
> use LOCALVERSION=.
>
> The + was added to stop falsely identifying kernels as a specific version
> when they are modified by default. Sorry if you forget to override it
> sometimes.

OK, I have an acceptable solution for my needs now, and if others need
it, hopefully they would find this post.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin

  Last update: 2011-08-16 04:23    [W:0.044 / U:0.596 seconds]