SubjectRe: kernel 3.1.1 message: <IRQ> warn_alloc_failed
On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 21:10:02 -0500
starlight@binnacle.cx wrote:

> Hello.
>
> FYI saw several of these when running
> multiple 'rcp' commands copying multi-gigabyte
> files to/from system.
>
> 'rcp' target files were all on an encrypted
> mirrored USB3-attached pair of 3TB hard
> drives.
>
> One outgoing 'rcp' was to a system with
> a much slower disk (due to a USB2 attachment)
> and that transfer was putting back-pressure
> on the connection.
>
> Kernel is running on a CentOS 6.0
> distribution.
>
> Not subscribing to the lists, so please
> CC me with any queries. Please note that
> email originating from most non-US MTAs
> will bounce, but I will check the list
> archives if I see any.
>
> Can't spend a lot of time on this but am
> willing to answer a few questions. Hopefully
> the call stack will tell the story well
> enough.

You are seeing memory allocation failures because device
is allocating a 16K (order 2) size socket buffer. You are using
netxen device, and it looks like the problem.

From reading the netxen driver source. The LRO buffers in this device
are very large (8060+skb overhead).
Until the driver is fixed to use fragmented page size memory,
I recommend turning off LRO.

  Last update: 2011-12-09 18:53    [W:1.508 / U:0.032 seconds]