    SubjectRe: Driver core support for early platform devices
    On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 11:15:06AM -0600, Moffett, Kyle D wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm tinkering with some improvements to the way that OpenPIC/MPIC are
    > detected and loaded on PowerPC platforms, and it seems like I am trying
    > to use the driver model before it is fully initialized.
    >
    > In particular, it seems like it should be possible to simply declare an
    > OpenPIC in the device-tree and have it automatically bound to a platform
    > driver declaring the right OpenFirmware match strings.
    >
    > Unfortunately, it needs to be bound by init_IRQ() time, while the driver
    > model does not get initialized until much later (after the scheduler is
    > up and running).
    >
    > As far as I can tell, there seem to be 2 possible approaches to making
    > that possible:
    >
    > (1) Split the driver-model initialization into "early" and "late" phases
    > so that drivers can be registered and devices probed very early on
    > and then replay the necessary scheduler-dependent things after the
    > system is mostly started up (IE: devtmpfs, etc).

    We already have that today with the "early_platform*" functions, right?
    Will those work for you, or do you need this for a bus you are creating
    and not using the platform bus?

    If the later, why not just duplicate the logic of the early_platform*
    code for your bus? Will that work?

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2011-12-22 18:47    [W:4.132 / U:0.216 seconds]