SubjectRe: CPU hyperthreading turned on after soft power-cycle

Hi all,

>> Result of bisecting: v2.6.38-rc1 exhibits the problem. v2.6.37 and
>> many of the topic branches merged in the 2.6.38 merge window work ok.
>> Some other topic branches do not boot at all.
>>
>> Jiri: if you have gitk installed, then "git bisect visualize" can help
>> get a sense of what's in the middle of the regression range.
>> "gitk --bisect --first-parent v2.6.37..v2.6.38-rc1" might be a good way
>> to find mainline commits to test before finding a topic branch to delve
>> into.
>
> I have been able to narrow the interval manually a little bit from the
> "top" (the bad side) and I will go on from the bottom now. However,
> there seems to be a large area where kernels are unbootable for me -
> they mostly stop when init is called and I do not know why.

Finally! After another 50+ compilations a have it! It took some time as
first I had to find a reason why some revisions did not boot (almost 2/3
were unbootable and the first bad commit was among them). Having this
solved I have been able to bisect without "skipping". The result is
surprising (at least for me) - believe it or not, the first bad commit
is 6610e089 "RTC: Rework RTC code to use timerqueue for events" from
John Stultz (I am sending him a copy of this message).

I would never expect this would be a problem, but my understanding of
this commit is very limited, so I am certainly missing the point.
However, I have tried to compile 2.6.38 (which was "bad") with "Real
Time Clock" configuration option turned off and it behaves "normally"
then (= is "good").

Can you please comment this result? What does it mean? Any idea what is
"wrong" there?

Best regards,

Jiri Polach

  Last update: 2011-11-16 23:51    [W:0.469 / U:0.048 seconds]