SubjectRe: floppy driver assumes INITIAL_JIFFIES == 0

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Stephen Hemminger wrote:

> Thank you for confirming my suspicions. Given the state of destruction
> there, bug fixing is like playing Jenga.

I suspect it's fixable, but it would probably involve a lot of careful
moving around of that "floppy_lock" spinlock. Add various asserts to make
sure that it's held in all cases, and then for each warning you get, you
add the proper spinlock until it's all properly protected.

The _original_ protection was just from irqs being atomic (UP, remember),
and the block layer queueing happening from irq-safe context. You're still
running it on UP, but we've even lost the irq-handler protection (and then
later, the bottom-half mutual exclusion).

Linus

  Last update: 2010-06-04 01:17    [W:0.054 / U:0.068 seconds]