SubjectRe: [Patch 0/7] Implement crashkernel=auto
Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Amerigo Wang <amwang@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> Yes, exactly, in fact I am doing another part which will allow us to take back
>> of the reserved memory at run-time.
>>

> Alright. Let's look at that.
>
> I would make the restriction you can't resize the area while a kexec
> on panic image is loaded, and growing the area would not be a
> realistic option.

Sure, I have no plan to do growing reserved memory at run-time... only
freeing or shrinking it...

> If crash_kernel=auto happens in the context of being able to shrink
> the area from user space the definition is simple. We reserve as much
> memory as we think we can without affecting performance, stability,
> reliability.
>
> We can use an initial approximation of perhaps 1/32nd of low memory
> (aka directly mapped memory), and I don't see a point in making the
> code arch dependent at all. We should run the size approximation past
> the folks on linux-mm as they are more likely to know how much memory
> reduction we can tolerate without problems.

Yup, agreed.

> We can then plan on user space saying hey that is more than I need:
> shrink that, and load the kexec on panic kernel.

Exactly... but the interface still needs to be discussed...

Currently, we have two options:

1) add a new flag to kexec_load(2) to tell the kernel to shrink the memory;
2) use /proc/iomem, let the user to decide which and how much of the
reserved memory should be removed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

  Last update: 2009-08-06 11:13    [W:0.093 / U:0.528 seconds]