SubjectRe: [testcase] test your fs/storage stack (was Re: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is possible)
On 08/29/2009 05:49 AM, Pavel Machek wrote:

>>> So instead of fixing or at least documenting known software deficiency
>>> in Linux MD stack, you'll try to surpress that information so that
>>> people use more of raid5 setups?
>>>
>>> Perhaps the better documentation will push them to RAID1, or maybe
>>> make them buy an UPS?
>>>
>> people aren't objecting to better documentation, they are objecting to
>> misleading documentation.
>>
> Actually Ric is. He's trying hard to make RAID5 look better than it
> really is.

I object to misleading and dangerous documentation that you have
proposed. I spend a lot of time working in data integrity, talking and
writing about it so I care deeply that we don't misinform people.

In this thread, I put out a draft that is accurate several times and you
have failed to respond to it.

The big picture that you don't agree with is:

(1) RAID (specifically MD RAID) will dramatically improve data integrity
for real users. This is not a statement of opinion, this is a statement
of fact that has been shown to be true in large scale deployments with
commodity hardware.

(2) RAID5 protects you against a single failure and your test case
purposely injects a double failure.

(3) How to configure MD reliably should be documented in MD
documentation, not in each possible FS or raw device application

(4) Data loss occurs in non-journalling file systems and journalling
file systems when you suffer double failures or hot unplug storage,
especially inexpensive FLASH parts.

ric

  Last update: 2009-08-29 13:31    [W:0.273 / U:0.104 seconds]