SubjectRe: ATA device reset, shoud I be concerned?
On 08/26/2009 10:40 PM, Robert Hancock wrote:
> On 01/21/2008 08:33 AM, Tejun Heo wrote:
>> Tejun Heo wrote:
>>> IMHO, losing media error information is much better than locking up a
>>> machine hard. We can start white listing known good controllers but I'm
>>> skeptical how much benefit it will bring.
>>
>> Just a data point, even ICHs lock up after PHY event if the wrong TF
>> register is accessed. I just don't think tempting with TF regs after
>> timeout is worth the cost.
>
> Nvidia CK804 SATA controllers appear to also explode on reading TF
> registers after media errors in certain cases. (They tend to either
> lockup the machine or throw HyperTransport timeout machine check
> exceptions). I suspect those error paths aren't well tested (except that
> it even explodes in Windows with the default Microsoft IDE driver, when
> reading a scratched DVD on a SATA drive, for example.)

Well, reading TF when DMA or other operation is enabled is a big
no-no... according to spec. If we are touching TF before data xfer
operation is completed, and host controller has a chance to receive D2H
FIS, TF is undefined (except Status, in some cases).

Jeff

  Last update: 2009-08-27 05:09    [W:0.055 / U:3.460 seconds]