SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] AlacrityVM guest drivers for 2.6.33
On 12/22/2009 10:21 AM, Andi Kleen wrote:
>> So far, the only actual technical advantage I've seen is that vbus avoids
>> EOI exits.
>>
> The technical advantage is that it's significantly faster today.

There are two separate pieces of code in question. There are front-end
drivers and there are back-end drivers.

Right now, there are only front-end drivers in the kernel today. The
combination of vbus front-end drivers and *kernel* back-end drivers are
faster than the *combination* of virtio front-end drivers and
*userspace* back-end drivers.

vhost-net is our kernel back-end driver. No one has yet established
that the combination of virtio front-end driver and kernel back-end
driver is really significantly slower than vbus.

> Maybe your proposed alternative is as fast, or maybe it's not. Who knows?
>

>> We think we understand why vbus does better than the current userspace
>> virtio backend. That's why we're building vhost-net. It's not done yet,
>> but our expectation is that it will do just as well if not better.
>>
> That's the vapourware vs working code disconnect I mentioned. One side has hard
> numbers&working code and the other has expectations. I usually find it sad when the
> vapourware holds up the working code.

We're not talking about vaporware. vhost-net exists.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

> -Andi

  Last update: 2009-12-22 17:29    [W:0.140 / U:0.460 seconds]