SubjectRe: [patch] measurements, numbers about CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING=y impact
Linus Torvalds wrote:

> So we do have special issues. And exactly _because_ we have special issues
> we should also expect that some compiler defaults simply won't ever really
> be appropriate for us.

That is, of course, true.

However, the Linux kernel (and quite a few other kernels) is a very
important customer of gcc, and adding sustainable modes for the kernel
that we can rely on is probably something we can work with them on.

I think the relationship between the gcc and Linux kernel people is
unnecessarily infected, and cultivating a more constructive relationship
would be good. I suspect a big part of the reason for the oddities is
that the timeline for the kernel community from making a request into
gcc until we can actually rely on it is *very* long, and so we end up
having to working things around no matter what (usually with copious
invective), and the gcc people have other customers with shorter lead
times which therefore drive their development more.

-hpa

  Last update: 2009-01-09 19:13    [W:0.278 / U:1.848 seconds]