SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.27-rc8
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > If it is X related then its both a kernel + X server issue, the e1000e
> > driver opens the barn door, the X server drives the horses through it.
> Are you sure? There was a mandriva report abou NVM corruption on an e100
> too (that one apparently just caused PXE failure, the networking worked
> fine).

That is very probably completely separate issue, and shoudl have been
fixed already by 78566fecb.

> The Ubuntu people are some of the crazier ones (should I be surprised?),
> but that one also has Ben Collins claiming they use the same e1000e
> driver for the 2.6.26/27 kernels (from intels sf.net project). That may
> be bogus, but if true it would indicate that it's possibly not so
> kernel-related, or at least not so e1000e-driver-related.

I think that not many peeople are suspecting bug in e1000e directly.
Rather a combination of X bug, kernel allowing X to do bad things (for
example the missing check in drivers/pci/pci-sysfs.c:pci_mmap_resource()
looks particularly suspicious) and a "bug-friendly" hardware behavior.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2008-09-30 09:15    [W:0.239 / U:0.036 seconds]