SubjectRe: [linux-dvb] Multiproto API/Driver Update
Steven Toth wrote:
> Markus Rechberger wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 1:31 AM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Using the same interface, the same applications will work there as well
>>> which is a bonus, but isn't the existing user interface GPL ? (A bit
>>> confused on that aspect)

>>> These devices, depend upon the DVB API update without which it wouldn't
>>> work as they depend heavily on the DVB API framework. Without the
>>> updated framework, it doesn't make any sense to pull them: they won't
>>> even compile. The last but not least reason is that, the stb0899 driver
>>> is a DVB-S2 multistandard device which requires DVB-S2/DSS support
>>> additionally.
>>>

>> so the framework is available, and the drivers could be pushed in
>> right afterwards, I wonder
>> who is willing to port those drivers to the other API (including
>> testing).
>
> Me. I'll port the 3200 cards and their derivatives, including the 6100
> and the 0899. I've already said I'd do that.... but it's manu's code and
> he retains all rights. He gets to decide first.

The STB0899 based devices are much different from the crappy handicapped
Hauppauge S2 cards and hence the API that you work upon is quite limited
to what you see with regards to the Hauppauge (CX24116 based) cards.

Even the bare specifications from Conexant point to a handicapped DVB-S2
demodulator.

Attempts to do so, will break those devices at least for most of the
features and more yet to come. The DVB-S2 transport is a bit more
advanced delivery system than what your API based on the CX24116
demodulator.

At least it will be great for Hauppauge as you can point to people that
Hauppauge hardware is much better, for the marketing aspects as you have
done in the past on IRC lists.

Very good marketing strategy, Steven keep it up, you have earned more
sales for the Hauppauge cards ...
<claps hands>

>> It's not going to happen any time soon I guess, if there's not an
>> agreement with Manu's
>> work. Dumping this code would show another step of ignorance and
>> selfishness against the
>> people who worked on it.
>

> The demod/tuners drivers would be merged with S2API within a few days. I
> have a TT-3200 here. I'd have to re-write various things, and change the
> demod API a little. but I'm prepared to do that.

Just having a TT 3200 won't help working on the STB0899. Almost everyone
who has a STB0899 based knows that, except you.

No need for you to break the compliant devices in favour of your
mediocre cards. As i wrote just above, the STB0899 is not the only one
device using the said features. Also i can guarantee that the CX24116
(HVR4000) is the most handicapped DVB-S2 device that you are basing the
DVB-S2 API on: and i can guarantee that what you do will be just be
broken as you have done for other devices in the past.

Also i do not understand, why you have to make a lot of noise to port
the STB0899 drivers to your crap, when all your cards work as expected
by you with the multiproto tree. I don't see any reason why the STB0899
has to be ported to the handicapped API of yours, handicapping the
STB0899 based devices.

HTH
Manu

  Last update: 2008-09-14 20:55    [W:0.067 / U:1.116 seconds]