    SubjectRe: [malware-list] [RFC 0/5] [TALPA] Intro to a linux interface for on access scanning
    On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 10:01:43 -0700
    Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

    > On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 12:25:03PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > > Again, do it all in userspace (caching, and scanning). I still really
    > > > don't see the need to do this in the kernel becides it being "the way
    > > > people have always done it."
    > >
    > > We don't have notifiers for file segment changes that are scalable that
    > > far.
    >
    > I agree, but if we did, would that help out a lot here? Lots of other
    > groups of people are needing/asking for something like this and if
    > someone can finally get it together to post something useful, that might
    > be a very good thing.

    A scalable notification scheme would certainly sort out content indexing
    systems more nicely. Open notifiers that scale let you do path indexing
    ("People who opened file X also opened file Y" - both for optimising disk
    layouts and for application level 'what do I prompt the user with' stuff)

    The only thing I can see that is actually needed to get the whole thing
    working sweetly even for the virus and HSM cases is an LSM willing to
    bounce some opens via a user space helper. Even without that you could
    label content 'dubious' on close and relabel it accordingly in the
    asynchronous scanning app

    Alan

      Last update: 2008-08-05 22:57    [W:4.157 / U:0.168 seconds]