SubjectRe: x86 BIOS interface for partitioning and system serial number on SGI UV
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Mike Travis wrote:
>>
>> Hi Kyle,
>>
>> As I'm very new to this development arena, could you explain a bit more
>> on why this is considered "bad manners"?
>>
>> I'm not speaking of any particular change, but there are some
>> realities in
>> bringing a new product to market that depends heavily on new "features"
>> being accepted into a specific kernel release. I certainly do not want
>> to "taint" any kernel code (and I'm always amazed at the dedication of
>> so many individuals to insure this doesn't happen), but the line between
>> acceptability (and not) seems to waver all over the place... ;-)
>>

> It's because it's your responsibility to get the code in by whenever you
> need it to, but trying to push unfinished code with the motivation "we
> need it in by <release>" violates the development model *and* is just
> plain rude.
>
> This comes down to the old saying "lack of planning on your part does
> not constitute an emergency on my part."
>
> In other words, if you want to push code in by a specific release, the
> code needs to be *done* and properly submitted. Submitting code that
> has a big "real code goes here" comment, is ridiculous.
>
> Unfortunately we have seen a *lot* of that from several people at SGI
> over the last year.
>
> -hpa

Hi Peter,

Ok, thanks, I do see your point (very clearly), as I prepare yet another
"we really, really need this" patch... ;-)

[ok, it's only a led driver and the world won't stop if it doesn't show up
in the kernel... ;-)]

Cheers,
Mike

  Last update: 2008-08-05 17:59    [W:0.045 / U:0.880 seconds]