SubjectRe: [RFC 0/5] [TALPA] Intro to a linux interface for on access scanning
> Remember, the big issue here isn't the kernel "hooks", but the fact that
> a lot of people are yet to be convinced that something like this needs
> to be within the kernel itself.

Mostly the same people who said that about LSM I note 8)

> Perhaps we should dig up the proposals for the filesystem-notify type
> patches, something like that might be all the majority of the virus
> people need, as they want to just scan things for Windows viruses, not
> Linux ones, and to do so "lazily" might be sufficient.

The key difference between a lazy scan and an active intervention is tiny
- the ability to block in the security decision to open a file.

Once you have that bit you have the ability to hand the file handle up to
a daemon to chew on and return a status. The same co-incidentally gives
you the hooks for doing various kinds of HSM as you can block an open
while you retrieve the archived content from wherever it was warehoused.

Alan

  Last update: 2008-08-05 14:43    [W:0.266 / U:0.304 seconds]