SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] OSS Proxy using CUSE
At Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:05:53 +0200,
Tejun Heo wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> So, after all the fuss, here's the state-of-the-art standard-compliant
> cloud-computing web-3.0-beta web page for OSS emulation using CUSE.
>
> http://userweb.kernel.org/~tj/ossp/
>
> It works pretty well here. :-)

Thanks for info. Just a quick glance, CUSE looks like a good
abstraction for this kind of things.

I've been thinking that the tunneling to an OSS-emulation daemon would
be the best way, too, and I actually made a similar hack (not based on
FUSE but own kernel module).

It was presented in SUSE Labs conference a few years ago. And the
reaction by audience at that time was what Adrian showed -- why do we
need such a complexity at all? Well, as long as we have OSS API and
its applications, we should keep supporting them in a good form.

Anyway, my implementation at that time was too hackish and I gave up
soon. If it can be implemented in a generic framework like CUSE,
it's a good chance to merge to the upstream.

One thing I couldn't find in your code is the mmap support.
The mmap support is crucial for some apps, typically used for games.
Am I missing something?

thanks,

Takashi

  Last update: 2008-08-29 12:43    [W:0.189 / U:0.552 seconds]