SubjectRe: mounting windows shares with path exactly like on windows
Date
kovlensky@interia.pl writes:

> I'm sorry to be slightly off topic, when it comes to this list, but
> I have no clue where to look for that and I think it can be doe on
> kernel level only.
>
> In short - I've got bunch of applications running both on windows
> and linux and these applications exchange links to files mounted on
> both sides. The problem is that these paths are different, i.e. like
> D:/dir/file on windows and /mountpoint/dir/file on Linux. What I
> need is unifying them. So my idea is to have path translator on
> anything on kernel level, which will make Linux open call to
> D:/dir/file on Linux work and open /mountpoint/dir/file. Was
> anything close to that ever incorporated in kernel?
>
> Applications are, as usual, closed source, and support for them,
> also as usual, answers "won't be fixed, switch to Windows,
> please". Very helpful.
>
> Any other ideas of solving this problem are also warmly
> welcomed. Also on windows side.

You may want to look at plasticfs (http://plasticfs.sourceforge.net/)

It does not do what you need, but should not be to difficult to
change.

From the Home Page:
The Plastic File System is an LD_PRELOAD module for manipulating what
the file system looks like for programs. This allows virtual file
systems to exist in user space, without kernel hacks or modules.

HTH
--
Walter Franzini
http://aegis.stepbuild.org/

PGP Public key ID: 1024D/CB3FEB43
Key fingerprint : FA26 C33B CAFF 7848 EFEB 7327 96AA 2D57 CB3F EB43
Key server : http://www.keyserver.net

  Last update: 2008-08-29 11:53    [W:0.031 / U:0.996 seconds]