SubjectRe: ACPI OSI disaster on latest HP laptops - critical temperature shutdown
On Sat, 02 Aug 2008, Norbert Preining wrote:
> There something else strange, no idea if that is related, sometimes it
> just hangs after
> Setting the clock.
> That is a message of Debian/sid and probably calls hwclock or something
> similar.

Yes, it is a call to hwclock. It recently started to cause lockups on my
ThinkPad T43 too (it is a regression of some sort, either in hwclock or the
kernel), but I was too busy to care. I just removed the hwclock calls on
the init path completely, since my clock is in UTC anyway and they were just
wasting boot time.

Interestingly enough, the hwclock call to SET the clock on the shutdown path
never causes any problems. This could be a Debian userspace issue, or
hwclock reading of the RTC is broken, but writes are not.

But the thermal hang is something else entirely. You have at least two
different bugs causing you grief.

Henrique Holschuh

  Last update: 2008-08-02 16:55    [W:0.269 / U:0.060 seconds]