    SubjectRe: [malware-list] scanner interface proposal was: [TALPA] Intro to a linux interface for on access scanning
    malware-list-bounces@dmesg.printk.net wrote on 2008-08-18 17:15:00:

    > > On async notification we fire a message to everything that registered
    > > 'simultaneously.' On blocking we fire a message to everything in
    > > priority order and block until we get a response. That response
    should
    > > be of the form ALLOW/DENY and should include "mark result"/"don't mark
    > > result."
    >
    > No can do - you get stuck with recursive events with the virus checker
    > trying to stop the indexer from indexing a worm.

    And the opposite approach can't work because the AV scanner + the index
    scanner
    need the HSM to do its work before they can scan.

    I guess the only way it could work is to have levels:
    e.g.
    HSM agent is Level 1
    AV scanner is Level 2
    Index scanner is Level 3

    When you register at Level N, you are excluded from all blocking/scanning
    at Levels >= N,
    but your ops are still passed to Level < N.

    An example is a little hard to craft because HSM and indexing catch
    different operations. :-)

    --
    Douglas Leeder

    Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon,
    OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.

    Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.

      Last update: 2008-08-18 18:57    [W:3.691 / U:0.008 seconds]