SubjectRe: HPET regression in 2.6.26 versus 2.6.25 -- revert for 2.6.26-rc1 failed
On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 5:03 AM, David Witbrodt <dawitbro@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> > I'm not sure Yinghai's revert patch is completely equivalent to
>> > a revert of the original problematic commit, by a side-by-side
>> > comparison of the original commit with his recent revert patch,
>> > but then I don't really know that code at all.
>> >
>> > In the original code there was a section (in e820_reserve_resources()):
>> >
>> > #ifdef CONFIG_KEXEC
>> > if (crashk_res.start != crashk_res.end)
>> > request_resource(res, &crashk_res);
>> > #endif
>> >
>> > If you don't have CONFIG_KEXEC defined in your .config, which is
>> > probably the case, then you would never request a crashk_res resource.
>> > But in the code after the original commit, it unconditionally calls
>> > (in reserve_crashkernel()):
>> >
>> > crashk_res.start = crash_base;
>> > crashk_res.end = crash_base + crash_size - 1;
>> > insert_resource(&iomem_resource, &crashk_res);
>> >
>> > And after Yinghai's revert patch it still does (in reserve_crashkernel()):
>> >
>> > crashk_res.start = crash_base;
>> > crashk_res.end = crash_base + crash_size - 1;
>> > crashk_res_ptr = &crashk_res;
>> >
>> > and (in setup_arch()):
>> >
>> > num_res = 3;
>> > if (crashk_res_ptr) {
>> > res_kernel[num_res] = crashk_res_ptr;
>> > num_res++;
>> > }
>> > e820_reserve_resources(res_kernel, num_res);
>> >
>> > then (in e820_reserve_resources()):
>> >
>> > for (j = 0; j < nr_res_k; j++) {
>> > if (!res_kernel[j])
>> > continue;
>> > request_resource(res, res_kernel[j]);
>> > }
>> >
>> > which for j == 3 is:
>> >
>> > request_resource(res, &crashk_res);
>> >
>> > Now it would appear that the new:
>> >
>> > insert_resource(&iomem_resource, &crashk_res);
>> >
>> > or new:
>> >
>> > request_resource(res, &crashk_res);
>> >
>> > should be noops. But if for any reason crash_size is not zero,
>> > then there could be a difference. I have no idea if this is at all
>> > significant, but I thought I'd point it out just in case.
>>
>> why oops ?
>
> I think he meant no-op's.
>

>> if not valid crash kernel size etc is input, crashk_res_ptr will be null
>>
>> > if (crashk_res_ptr) {
>> > res_kernel[num_res] = crashk_res_ptr;
>> > num_res++;
>> > }
>>
>> it that is not appended to res_kernel...
>
> So your patch code protects against problem that Bill is mentioning
> without using "#ifdef CONFIG_KEXEC", right Yinghai?

can you try enable kexec and kdump in you .config.

it should works. my .config have config_kexec

> Some experiments I did last night may render these questions moot, though.
> My problem is very specific to the hardware on two of my machines, and it
> has something to do with setting up the system resources that
> insert_resource() touches.

please try to bisect on current tree. and every time apply the revert patch...

YH

  Last update: 2008-08-14 19:43    [W:0.086 / U:1.300 seconds]