SubjectRe: TALPA - a threat model? well sorta.
Date
On Wednesday 13 August 2008, Alan Cox wrote:
> > So, what is it that anti-malware companies do?  They scan files.  That's
> > it.
>
> Good so lets instead have a discussion about making the file event
> notification more scalable. That is the same thing I want for content
> indexing. It is the same thing you want for certain kinds of smart
> archiving, for on-line asynchronous backup and other stuff.
>
> It ought to be a simple clean syscall interface.

In this case, it seems to be the same kind of requirement that lead to
dnotify and inotify, right?

So in order to get the third notification syscall interface right, the
obvious questions are:

1. How do you make it cleaner than inotify?
2. How do you make it more scalable than inotify?
3. Do you need it to do anything that inotify doesn't do, beyond 1. and 2.?

Arnd <><