SubjectRe: can block drivers get non-fs requests?
On Thu, Aug 14 2008, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> Hi Jens,
>
> There is one part of the block layer I'm having trouble completely
> understanding (well there are loads really, but right now there's one in
> particular :)):
>
> Do block drivers need to watch out for requests that aren't "normal"
> reads and writes? The MMC block driver has a funky prepare function
> that checks for FS and PC requests and discards anything else. I
> believe this is wrong in two regards:

You should check in the driver whether the request type is supported. So
if you can only handle fs requests, you should do a check for
!blk_fs_request() after elv_next_request() and call
end_(de)queued_request() appropriately.

> a) PC requests seem to be prepared SCSI cmds, and the MMC driver just
> expects normal transfer requests. Therefore, such requests should not
> be accepted by this driver.

Yes, that is correct. A PC request is essentially a SCSI command sent
directly.

> b) The block layer won't throw weird stuff at us unless explicitly told
> so. I.e. a normal block queue will only produce normal FS requests.

Normal IO activity will only produce fs requests. However, if someone
uses eg SG_IO on your block device, you will be sent pc requests. There
are no checks for this, it is left to the driver.

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2008-08-14 13:45    [W:0.026 / U:2.264 seconds]