SubjectRe: [RFC 00/15] x86_64: Optimize percpu accesses
Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

> The bulk of this series is pda_X to x86_X_percpu conversion. This seems
> like pointless churn to me; there's nothing inherently wrong with the
> pda_X interfaces, and doing this transformation doesn't get us any
> closer to unifying 32 and 64 bit.

What is the point of the pda_X interface? It does not exist on 32 bit.
The pda wastes the GS segment register on a small memory area. This patchset
makes the GS segment usable to reach all of the per cpu area by placing
the pda into the per cpu area. Thus the pda_X interface becomes obsolete
and the 32 bit per cpu stuff becomes usable under 64 bit unifying both
architectures.

> I think we should start devolving things out of the pda in the other
> direction: make a series where each patch takes a member of struct
> x8664_pda, converts it to a per-cpu variable (where possible, the same
> one that 32-bit uses), and updates all the references accordingly. When
> the pda is as empty as it can be, we can look at removing the
> pda-specific interfaces.

This patchset places the whole x8664_pda structure into the per cpu area and makes the pda macros operate on the x8664_pda structure in the per cpu area. Not sure why you want to go through the churn of doing it for each object separately.

  Last update: 2008-07-09 19:43    [W:0.334 / U:0.468 seconds]