SubjectRe: Lots of con-current I/O = resets SATA link? (2.6.25.10)

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jul 2008, Justin Piszcz wrote:

>>> So you've got 6 drives in the machine. Intel chipsets normally seem pretty
>>> robust with AHCI.
>>>
>>> Are you certain that your machine has enough power to run all those drives
>>> properly? We've seen in a number of cases that power fluctuations or noise
>>> can cause these kinds of errors.
>>
>> I have a 650watt PSU (nice antec one) and the power draw of the box is
>> ~148watts w/ veliciraptors, ~250 when fully load all 4 cores + all 12 disks
>> writing. I have turned off the irqbalance daemon and I am going to see if
>> the problem re-occurs.
>
> Looking at the sum wattage number is really misleading for this. You need to
> dig out the specs for how many amps it can provide on the different voltages
> (5 and 12 volts). In particular, many modern PSUs have several separate 12V
> rails, where one (or more, some have the 12V supply split into 3 or 4 parts!)
> is used for CPU and GFX card power and usually only one is available for
> disks.
>
> You can also have plenty of 12V left but run out of 5V, or the other way
> around. I've spent quite some time trying to find a PSU that would handle 18
> disks without costing too much. The splitting of the 12V power into separate
> rails and a general lack of 5V compared to what the disks need according to
> their specs just made it difficult, and I ended up bonding two PSUs together
> (linking the ground together with some custom cabling) to get a stable
> machine again.
>
> /Mattias Wadenstein

Good info here indeed but for my case it does not apply. I used to have
Raptor150s (12 of them on the same host) the ONLY thing that changed was
the drives themselves. And it used to use 150-250 watts (the 3.5" suck up
a lot more power) the power cables are also exactly the same as they were
on the Raptor 150s and I never had any issues.

I have two hosts, pretty much idential, I use the Antec TruePower Trio 650
in each of them.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=23650

Justin.

  Last update: 2008-07-07 11:59    [W:0.065 / U:0.168 seconds]