SubjectRe: Suggestion: LKM should be able to add system call for itself
On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 01:09:30 -0400
"Jinkai Gao" <mickeygjk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Above is to demonstrate that LKM is extension to kernel, and the
> system calls should be able to extend as long as the kernel is
> extending. So The LKM should be able to define its own user interface
> by adding new system call for itself.

Since we promise a stable ABI to userspace, this is a bit of a problem.

But... look today, we already have various system calls implemented by
modules. (example: sys_nfsservctl)
but to make it fully dynamic? Not a good idea... nobody would be able
to program to it.

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
visit http://www.lesswatts.org

  Last update: 2008-07-07 09:03    [W:0.063 / U:0.356 seconds]